This page contains a complete list of the courses I have taught, a list of awards and recognition of my teaching and a summary of some of my other teaching experiences.
I am also involved with undergraduate research, special studies, honors theses and mentoring young mathematicians. Click here for more information.
Interested in Graduate School in Mathematics? Click here for more information.
Courses at Washington & Lee.
All course information is found on Canvas.
- Math 102-01 Calculus II MTWF 9:45-10:45am Chavis 107.
- Math 343 Geometry MWF 1:30-2:30pm Chavis 302.
Images: (left) Trefoil knot, (right) (4,3) torus knot. Both from Knotplot
- Math 101 Calculus I: Fall 2018, 2019.
- Math 102 Calculus II: Fall 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, Winter 2013, 2015, 2020.
- Math 221(A) Multivariable Calculus: Fall 2012, 2013, 2017, Winter 2016.
- Math 222 Linear Algebra: Fall 2016, Winter 2018.
- Math 301 Fundamental Concepts of Mathematics: Spring 2015, 2017, 2019.
- Math 309 Probability: Fall 2018.
- Math 310 Mathematical Statistics: Winter 2019.
- Math 311 Real Analysis: Fall 2013, 2019.
- Math 341 Introduction to Topology: Fall 2014.
- Math 342 Modern Geometry: Winter 2013, 2019.
- Math 343 Geometry Winter 2020.
- Math 345 Calculus on Manifolds: Winter 2015, Winter 2018.
- Math 401 Math GRE prep course: Fall 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017.
- Math 401 Introduction to Knot Theory: Winter 2017.
- Math 114 Calculus II (Fall 2007, 2008, and Spring 2008, 2012).
- Math 211 Linear Algebra (Fall 2009 and Spring 2008, 2009, 2011).
- Math 212 Multivariable Calculus (Fall 2008).
- Math 225 Advanced Calculus (Spring 2009, 2011, 2012).
- Math 342 Introduction to Topology (Fall 2007, 2009).
- Math 342 Introduction to Differential Geometry (Fall 2011).
- Math 343 Introduction to Differential Topology (Spring 2010).
- Special Studies
- Math 301 Research with undergraduates (Fall 2011)
- Algebraic Topology (Spring 2011).
- Introduction to Algebraic Topology (Fall 2009).
- Minimum Distance Energy of Knots (Spring 2008).
- Math 139 Topics in Knot Theory (Spring 2007)
- Math 134 Calculus on Manifolds (Fall 2004, Fall 2006)
Introduction to manifolds in real n-space, inverse and implicit function theorems, differential forms, the general version of Stokes’s Theorem, etc.
- Math 25b Honors Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra (Spring 2006)
This course is a continuation from Math 25a. Topics covered include real analysis, multivariable calculus, differential forms and Stokes’ Theorem.
- Math 25a Honors Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra (Fall 2005)
A rigorous treatment of linear algebra, point-set and metric topology. Emphasis placed on careful reasoning, and on learning to understand and construct proofs.
- Math 21b Linear Algebra (Spring 2005, Fall 2006)
- Math 21a Multivariable Calculus (Fall 2004)
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Math 135 Calculus I (Spring 2000)
- Math 130 Calculus II (Fall 1998, Spring 1999, Fall 1999)
- Math 242 Multivariable Calculus (Fall 2000, Fall 2001, Fall 2002)
This was taught at Unit One Allen Hall, a program which provides students with a small liberal arts college environment within the wider community at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. For more information about Allen Hall click here.
- C&M 242 Multivariable calculus (Spring 2001)
The third course in calculus and analytic geometry taught with active learning techniques using Calculus & Mathematica. Click here for more information.
University of Sydney, Australia
- Recitation instructor for an Introductory Linear Algebra course.
- Grader for Freshman Calculus courses, Introductory Topology course and for the correspondence program for the Australian Mathematics Olympiad Committee.
- I have also twice been a tutor at the Australian National Mathematics Summer School.
Teaching Awards and Recognition
- Fall 2004 CUE (Course Evaluation) guide Harvard University. Received “special recognition for teaching abilities” for multivariable calculus. Recognition based on student evaluations.
- Spring 2002 LAS Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. (Awarded to 6 out of 1000 Liberal Arts and Sciences College Teaching Assistants each year.)
- May 2000c Mathematics Instructional Award for excellence in teaching at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- Placed on Incomplete List for Excellent Teachers University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign: Spring 1999, Fall 1999, Spring 2000, Fall 2000, Spring 2001, Fall 2001, Fall 2002. (Awarded to top 10% of instructors across the UIUC campus based on student evaluations of instructor effectiveness.)
Other teaching experiences
- Jan. 2014 Attended an MAA mini-course on Teaching an applied topology course lead by Colin Adams and Robert Franzosa.
- Sept 2012 – May 2013 Calculus subcommittee for selecting a new calculus text, W&L.
- May 2011 – June 2012 Calculus Placement Tool, responsibility for editing and maintaining the tool, and education in its use. Department of Mathematics, Smith College.
- Fall 2011 Chair committee on text and curriculum for Calculus I. Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics, Smith College.
- Spring 2011, Fall 2011 Coordinator of interdepartmental discussions on the curriculum, including updates on course changes, and coordinating course offerings. Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics, Smith College.
- Spring 2010 Calculus subcommittee on Calculus II students, curriculum and text. Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics, Smith College.
- July 2007-June 2010 Steering Committee on the Curriculum, included departmental survey on teaching & curriculum, and long term planning. Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics, Smith College.
- Spring 2002 Chair Teaching Assistant Teaching Awards Committee, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- Spring 2001 Student Representative Teaching Assistant Teaching Awards Committee, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- Fall 2000 and Spring 2001 Mentor Teaching Assistant Training Program, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- Aug. 2000 and 2001 Student Assistant Teaching Assistant Orientation, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.